Drug Addiction Warning Signs
Drug and Alcohol Rehab Center Helps Stop the Abuse and Starts the Healing
Addiction, or chemical dependency, is a medically diagnosable brain and behavioral disease that is chronic, progressive and potentially fatal. But like many other diseases, drug and alcohol dependency can be successfully treated. There are three aspects of addiction:
- Biological – Addiction tends to run in families. If a parent or other close relative has struggled with chemical dependency, you are at greater risk because you may have inherited this family trait.
- Psychological – Depending on chemicals, such as alcohol and drugs to cope with problems and stress, contributes to addiction, as does having certain personality traits, such as impulsiveness, self-destructiveness, or the need for high levels of excitement.
- Social/Cultural – Easy access to alcohol and drugs, peer pressure, or relationships in which a friend or loved one uses alcohol or drugs can all contribute to addiction.
What are the Warning Signs?
An individual doesn’t have to experience all of these common signs or symptoms in order to have an alcohol or drug addiction:
- Uses alcohol or other drugs excessively or inappropriately
- Spends a lot of time getting or using substances
- Has trouble cutting down or stopping once he/she starts using
- Experiences withdrawal symptoms when he/she cuts down or stops using
- Uses alcohol or other drugs to avoid or stop withdrawal symptoms
- Uses substances even though they are causing problems in his/her life
- Gives up important activities or loses friendships because of substance use
- Stops using for a period of time (days, weeks or months), only to start up again
- Gets into trouble with the law because of use
- Has blackouts, or forgets conversations or actions while under the influence of chemicals
HOW CAN WE HELP?
Why Choose Fairwinds Treatment Center
At Fairwinds Treatment Center in Clearwater, Florida, we provide a unique and effective treatment approach that combines psychological and emotional support with nutritional guidance. Our medical professionals know that every patient is fighting their own intensely personal battle. With that in mind, our treatment programs are tailored to the needs of each individual and their family. We operate a small, comfortable residential treatment center where you or your loved one can take the time necessary to truly heal.
If you or your loved one is struggling with substance abuse, an eating disorder or mental illness, there is no time to waste. Contact Fairwinds Treatment Center today by phone or via our online form to start the journey toward treatment and recovery.
The History of Fairwinds Treatment Center
Fairwinds Treatment Center was founded by Dr. Khal El-Yousef in 1989, and we offer a treatment model that combines the benefits of therapy with a more clinical approach to eating disorders, addiction and the underlying psychological conditions that can spur these self-destructive behaviors. We believe that addressing all of the factors that contribute to an eating disorder is the only way to facilitate a full recovery. As such, we are one of the only dually licensed psychiatric and substance abuse treatment facilities in the nation to earn accreditation by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), which empowers us to address any chemical dependencies or behavioral issues that may contribute to an eating disorder.