Having a spouse who suffers from drug addiction is heartbreaking, and often leaves people with a feeling of helplessness and anger. If you believe that your husband or wife is abusing substances, it's important to realize that you need emotional support as much as they do.
However, identifying whether or not your spouse is truly struggling with addiction can be difficult. Seeing a person daily means that you may not even notice the changes that are occurring very gradually.
Familiarize yourself with the classic warning signs, so that you can recognize certain behaviors when and if they arise:
- Apathy: Your spouse suddenly develops an apathetic, passive attitude toward activities that he or she used to enjoy and care about.
- Energy: If you notice that your wife or husband has rapid changes in energy levels, whether becoming drowsy and sleepy or hyperactive and energized, this could be a sign of substance abuse.
- Irritability: Symptoms such as increased irritability, secretiveness, mood swings and nervous behavior can signal that your spouse is struggling with addiction.
- Sleep: Drug addiction often causes a person's normal sleep patterns to alter dramatically. Some people experience insomnia, while others suffer from extreme drowsiness.
- Weight: If your partner gains or loses a significant amount of weight, it could be related to drug use.
If you notice any or all of these warning signs in your spouse, reach out to the professionals at Fairwinds Treatment Center today. Dr. M.K. (Khal) El-Yousef founded the center over 25 years ago to heal patients with his dual diagnosis method of treatment, which provides not only clinical treatment but also therapeutic counseling. Fairwinds is one of the best addiction treatment centers in the nation, and our aim is to provide support and holistic treatment plans for our patients so they can enjoy long-term recovery and health.